Morrisville, NY– The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (9-10) came up just short this afternoon (Feb. 4) to United East Conference opponent Morrisville State (12-5). The final score was 64-56, moving the Seahawks’ record to 7-5 in United East play.
How It Happened
- The Seahawks took a 15-13 lead into the first break after a very even first quarter of play from both teams. Stephanie Howell led the way for St. Mary’s offensively with eight points, while Karon Williams was able to knock down a big three pointer halfway through the period to help shift momentum back to the Seahawks.
- The second quarter of play saw four lead changes and four ties, as neither team could gain much of an edge on the other. Karon Williams was able to help the Seahawks keep pace with a couple of key free-throws, while Rachel Manning converted on two big layups down the stretch. The Mustangs led by just two at the halftime break, 30-28
- Both teams began the second half trying to separate from one another but could not find much success. The biggest lead seen in the quarter was just five and the Mustangs led by just four going into the last break. Amira Whitaker knocked down a huge three-pointer for the Seahawks to extinguish a potential Mustang run. Karon Williams knocked down two three-pointers in the period and continued to spark the Seahawk offense.
- Karon Williams and Stephanie Howell got the scoring started in the final period of play, tying the game up at 46-46. The Seahawks came up just short down the stretch as the Mustangs were able to hit some clutch free-throws to ice the game. St. Mary’s was able to shoot over 30% from the field while also going 75% from the free-throw line.
Inside the Box Score
- Karon Williams paced the Seahawks with 20 points and nine rebounds
- Stephanie Howell chipped in 10 points, six rebounds and a block
- Rachel Manning contributed eight points and four rebounds. Manning also hustled for a steal.
St. Mary’s College Women’s Basketball will have the chance to bounce back when they take on another United East Conference Rival Wells College, tomorrow, February 5th. The Seahawks and Express tip-off at 3:00 pm.