More than 250 teams — including 47 from Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) —competed in the Maryland Destination Imagination (DI) Tournament held April 7 at the University of Maryland Baltimore County.
A total of 22 CCPS teams were recognized for placing in the top five teams in their challenge and level, with 12 teams placing first, second or third. Teams that place first, second or third advance to the Global Finals Tournament set for May 22 to 27 in Knoxville, Tenn.
The following CCPS teams advance to the global DI tournament next month:
Maze Craze challenge:
- Second place, secondary level: North Point High School Lazy Leeches team. Student members are Charlyn Rae Canonizado, Elizabeth Gerstman, Ifeanyi Ijezie, Karly Iriarte, Robert Polk and Sydney Price.
- Second place, secondary level tie: North Point DITWACA team. Members include students Emily Decker, Carsen Essing, Andrew Gausepohl, Noah Kidwell, Emma Morgan and Sarah Steele.
- Third place, elementary level: William A. Diggs Elementary School Lightning Bolts team. Student members include Nyla Hopkins, Tylor McAlpine, Cecilia Mims, Desmond Nolan, Zainab Ramakdawala, Kayden Richardson and Lyla Smith.
- Third place, middle level: Piccowaxen Middle School Team 10-3. Student members include Riley Herbert, Philip Herbert, Steven McPhee, James Peterson, Addison Pfleegor, Savannah Trice and Shelby VanCleaf.
Unlikely Attraction challenge:
- Second place, secondary level: North Point Sucker Punch team. Student members are Shelby Green, Reines Maliksi and Dorothy Polk.
- Third place, secondary level: North Point Magnificent 7 team. Members include students Damon Burnette, Dadani Harris, Olukemi Harris, Ajay Hill, Takiyah Roberts, Erica Rodriguez and Ajani Witherspoon.
Change of Tune challenge:
- First place, secondary level: Westlake High School Divas team. Student members are Temitoluwasin Daniel-Akanle, Iruomachi Eze, Dyamond Johnson, Juan Paez, Chelsea Sampson, Darienne Savoy and Eugene Williams.
- First place, secondary level: North Point D’Inception team. Student team members include Hannah Gates, Christina Murphy, Brandon Powell, Xavier Prince, Cole Pryor, Logan Steele and Jacadi Tillman.
Inside Impact challenge:
- First place, middle level (tie): Matthew Henson Middle School TBFPSP team. Members include students Teagen Bullock, Griffin Hayes, Miles Hopkins, Farah LeBlanc, Giselle LeBlanc, Wesley Moore and Zahra Ramakdawala.
- Second place, elementary level: Malcolm Elementary School 7 Ugly Sweaters team. Team members include students Kirestin Brown, Elsa Jimenez-Corado, Madalyn Dutton, Rachel Laurie, Carly Roberts, Kennedy Robertson and Athena Sapp.
- Second place, secondary level: North Point Heart to Heart team. Team members include students Ashley Bungcayao, Aryanna Ilamni, Alexis Kagarise, Sarah Kersey, Desiree Miller, Nicki Patel and Kelsey Swegle.
- Third place, secondary level: Henry E. Lackey High School Little Rascals team. Team members include students Georgia Gordon, Anujin Nyamgaltaa, Kritika Oli, Hunter Paulin, Saivyon McIntyre, Anastazia Scherer and Kiersten Walker.
Xavier Prince, a North Point senior, and Christina Murphy, a Maurice J. McDonough High School senior, each received a $1,000 DI college scholarship.
Charles County Public Schools provides 26,900 students in grades prekindergarten through 12 with an academically challenging education. Located in Southern Maryland, Charles County Public Schools has 36 schools that offer a technologically advanced, progressive and high quality education that builds character, equips for leadership and prepares students for life, careers and higher education.
The Charles County public school system does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability in its programs, activities or employment practices. For inquiries, please contact Patricia Vaira, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 Coordinator (students) or Nikial M. Majors, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 coordinator (employees/ adults), at Charles County Public Schools, Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building,P.O. Box 2770, La Plata, MD 20646; 301-932-6610/301-870-3814. For special accommodations call 301-934-7230 or TDD 1-800-735-2258 two weeks prior to the event.