By Nairem Moran ·email@example.com
Fredericksburg, Va. –The hopes of the first-ever Capital Athletic Conference Men’s Soccer Championship title for the St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s soccer team were dashed Saturday afternoon. Second-seeded St. Mary’s (12-4-4) succumbed to a 1-0 loss to top-seeded and No. 12 University of Mary Washington (14-1-4).
This was the Seahawks’ fourth appearance in the CAC championship game and the first since 2015. It was also the third time St. Mary’s has faced Mary Washington in the title match, falling 3-0 in 1991 to the Eagles and suffering a 1-0 setback to UMW in 1992. In 2015, the Seahawks dropped a 2-0 decision to Salisbury University.
St. Mary’s 0, No. 12 Mary Washington 1
How It Happened
- Mary Washington dominated corner kicks, 11-4, but St. Mary’s edged the Eagles, 15-14, in shots.
- The Seahawks tested the UMW defense early with back-to-back corner kicks in the first three minutes plus sophomore forwardRoshawn Panton(Bowie, Md./Roosevelt) fired in a shot, whichKen Kurtzdenied.
- UMW put together a flurry of three consecutive shots in a three-minute span but junior goalkeeperPatrick Paolini(Gaithersburg, Md./Quince Orchard) was up to the challenge and the two sides headed into halftime in a scoreless draw.
- Paoliniturned away two shots in the first 10 minutes of the second half before the Eagles broke through with the eventual game-winning goal in the 59th minute whenRyan Van Maanenfinished off a feed fromIdrissa Barrie.
- St. Mary’s pepperedKurtzwith seven shots on goal in the second stanza, including six over the final 20 minutes, but the Seahawks could not slip one pastKurtzand the Eagle defense.
For the Seahawks
- Goalkeeper:Paolini (6 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
For Mary Washington
- Scorers:Van Maanen(1 goal);Barrie(1 assist)
- Goalkeeper:Kurtz(7 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00);Team(1 save)
- Mary Washington improves to 42-4-3 in the series, including three wins in a row. The Eagles have yet to lose to St. Mary’s in postseason action with an 8-0 record while the Seahawks remain winless in Fredericksburg, Virginia (0-27-1).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Season Complete