By: David M. Higgins II

Waldorf, MD– On Sunday, November 24, 2019, The Waldorf VFD and area departments responded to Mattawoman-Beantown Road for a reported structure fire around 6:30 p.m.

The 9-1-1 dispatch operator reported the caller said there was an “explosion” and fire coming out of one of the rooms. The Charles County Sheriff’s Office, along with the Waldorf VFD Cheif arrived and confirmed smoke coming from the home. Units quickly located the rooms on fire and extinguished them.

The Office of the State Fire Marshal was notified and it was determined that a space heater malfunctioned, and the explosion was from oxygen equipment in the room.

A total of twenty-eight firefighters responded with an additional fifteen from the Prince George’s County Fire Department.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family out. No injuries are known at this time.


David M. Higgins II, Publisher/Editor

David M. Higgins was born in Baltimore and grew up in Southern Maryland. He has had a passion for journalism since high school. After spending many years in the Hospitality Industry he began working in...