ELIZABETHTOWN, Pa. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team (4-10) competed in the championship game in the Spooky Nook Tournament against host Elizabethtown College on Saturday (Jan. 4) afternoon. The Seahawks were edged by the Blue Jays by a final score of 74-71.
St. Mary’s College – 71, Elizabethtown – 74
How It Happened
- The Seahawks had a successful first half and began the play by jumping out to a 7-2 lead, thanks to jumpers from Miles Gillette and Gary Grant, plus a three-pointer from Jack Foley. Next, St. Mary’s College completed their best scoring run of the game at the 14:37 mark to extend their lead to a 15-9 advantage. Justin Milstead knocked down back-to-back three balls during the run.
- Leading by nine points with under two minutes remaining in the half, the Seahawks rattled off five consecutive points to extend their lead to 14, their largest of the afternoon. The Blue Jays answered with the final bucket of the half, but the Seahawks took a commanding 39-27 lead into halftime.
- The Blue Jays slowly chipped into the Seahawk lead in the first 10 minutes of action of the second half and rallied with a 13 point scoring run to take a 55-53 lead with 8:32 remaining. Both squads exchanged scores for the next few minutes and played to a 64-64 tie with 3:37 remaining.
- Elizabethtown tallied five unanswered points and captured their largest lead of the night with a 69-64 advantage. The Seahawks came within two points of the Blue Jay lead with 36 seconds remaining and sent Elizabethtown to the free-throw line where they drained their shots to seal the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Gilletteled the Seahawks with his fourth double-double of the season, collecting a team-best 21 points and 11 rebounds.Grantfollowed with 17 points and six rebounds. On the defensive end,Foleytied his season-best mark with five blocks on the afternoon. In addition,Albert Scottled St. Mary’s College with two steals.
- Grantleads the Seahawks on the year by averaging 15.6 points per game, good for third in the Capital Athletic Conference (CAC).Gilletteleads the Seahawks with 7.7 rebounds per game, which comes in at third in the CAC.Foleypaces the Seahawks with 2.3 blocks per game, good for second in the conference.
- Wyatt Hockenberryled the Blue Jays with 20 points on the afternoon.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 7 vs. Penn St.-Abington | 6:00 p.m. | MPOBARC Arena