ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (3-14, 0-4 CAC) fell this evening to CAC competitor Southern Virginia (14-4, 2-2 CAC). This is the first of two matchups between the Seahawks and Knights that will take place during the 2019-2020 regular season.
St. Mary’s College – 59, Southern Virginia – 85
How it Happened
- The Knights took a strong lead in the first quarter scoring 22 points opposed to the Seahawks’ six points. Gina Seifert, Kyaira Priest, and Stephanie Howell each recorded two points in the first quarter, four of those points were from inside the paint. Seifert led the team with two rebounds, while Howell and Priest contributed one each.
- The Seahawks found their stride offensively in the second quarter by tallying 18 total points, Seifert contributed nine of those points. Priest drained five points total in the second quarter which was good for second on the team. The Seahawks were able to score two points off of fastbreaks and two points off of turnovers. Entering halftime, the Seahawks trailed by 21 points.
- During the third quarter, the Seahawks recorded 19 points compared to the Knights’ 21 points. Seifert and Priest tallied five points each, while Ashleigh Bonanno contributed four points. Caitlin Mays added two points for St. Mary’s College along with Kelli Jenkins who added three points. Despite St. Mary’s College finding success offensively, the Knights were still able to go on a ten-point scoring run bringing their lead to 23 points entering the final quarter.
- Howell entered the fourth quarter with some offensive fire tallying five points for the Seahawks, which was good for best on the team. Seifert contributed defensively with three rebounds. St. Mary’s College was able to score three points off of fast breaks, six from inside the paint and five off of turnovers. Both Jenkins and Priest contributed one assist in the fourth quarter. Southern Virginia was able to bring their lead to 26 points making them victorious at the final buzzer.
Inside the Box Score
- Seifert led the team in scoring this afternoon with 18 points total. Not far behind was junior guard, Priest who tallied 16 points. Seifert also led the team in rebounds with nine total. Priest led the team in assists and steals, with three assists and six steals.
- For Southern Virginia, Katie Garrish recorded a double-double with 15 points and ten rebounds.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 29 vs. Christopher Newport University | 6:00 PM | Michael P. O’Brien ARC Arena