ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (3-14, 0-4 CAC) fell this evening to CAC competitor Southern Virginia (14-4, 2-2 CAC). This is the first of two matchups between the Seahawks and Knights that will take place during the 2019-2020 regular season.
St. Mary’s College – 59, Southern Virginia – 85
How it Happened
- The Knights took a strong lead in the first quarter scoring 22 points opposed to the Seahawks’ six points.Gina Seifert,Kyaira Priest, andStephanie Howelleach recorded two points in the first quarter, four of those points were from inside the paint.Seifertled the team with two rebounds, whileHowellandPriestcontributed one each.
- The Seahawks found their stride offensively in the second quarter by tallying 18 total points,Seifertcontributed nine of those points.Priestdrained five points total in the second quarter which was good for second on the team. The Seahawks were able to score two points off of fastbreaks and two points off of turnovers. Entering halftime, the Seahawks trailed by 21 points.
- During the third quarter, the Seahawks recorded 19 points compared to the Knights’ 21 points.SeifertandPriesttallied five points each, whileAshleigh Bonannocontributed four points.Caitlin Maysadded two points for St. Mary’s College along withKelli Jenkinswho added three points. Despite St. Mary’s College finding success offensively, the Knights were still able to go on a ten-point scoring run bringing their lead to 23 points entering the final quarter.
- Howellentered the fourth quarter with some offensive fire tallying five points for the Seahawks, which was good for best on the team.Seifertcontributed defensively with three rebounds. St. Mary’s College was able to score three points off of fast breaks, six from inside the paint and five off of turnovers. BothJenkinsandPriestcontributed one assist in the fourth quarter. Southern Virginia was able to bring their lead to 26 points making them victorious at the final buzzer.
Inside the Box Score
- Seifertled the team in scoring this afternoon with 18 points total. Not far behind was junior guard,Priestwho tallied 16 points.Seifertalso led the team in rebounds with nine total.Priestled the team in assists and steals, with three assists and six steals.
- For Southern Virginia,Katie Garrishrecorded a double-double with 15 points and ten rebounds.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 29 vs. Christopher Newport University | 6:00 PM | Michael P. O’Brien ARC Arena