Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland Athletics
ELIZABETHTOWN, Pa. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse team (2-1) traveled to Elizabethtown College to take on the Blue Jays (1-1) on Saturday (Feb. 22) afternoon. The Seahawks earned a 12-10 victory over the Blue Jays in non-conference play.
St. Mary’s College – 12, Elizabethtown – 10
How It Happened
- Elizabethtown struck early and grabbed a 1-0 lead in the first seven seconds of play. St. Mary’s College responded when Dominic Venanzi ripped a shot into the back of the cage off a man-up opportunity. The Seahawks captured the lead minutes later with an unassisted score from Jude Brown. The scoring frenzy continued in the first stanza until the Blue Jays held a 4-3 advantage. Trailing by one, the Seahawks netted three of the final four goals tallied in the opening stanza and took a 6-5 lead into the second quarter. Ben Claffee, Erich Wuesthoff, and Jack Brocato found the back of the net to end the quarter.
- The Blue Jays notched the first two scores in the second stanza to retake the lead, 7-6. After 11 minutes of play in the second quarter, the Seahawks tallied their first goal and followed it up with two more to gain a 9-7 lead. Venanzi, Brown, and Brocato beat the opposing goalkeeper for scores during the run. With short time remaining, the Blue Jays cut the Seahawk lead to one with 26 seconds left in the half.
- The second half of action featured a defensive battle as both squads could only manage to score five times total. Abe Hubbard tallied his first goal of the game to start the second quarter, but the Blue Jays answered with back-to-back goals to tie the game up at 10-10.
- The St. Mary’s College defense rose to the occasion in the final quarter of play and held the Blue Jays scoreless. On the opposite end of the field, the Seahawk offense did enough by scoring two goals to earn the gritty road victory. Brocato and Claffee scored in the fourth to seal the Seahawk victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Brown led the Seahawks with six total points, netting two goals and dishing out four assists. Brocato (3g, 1a) and Claffee (2g, 2a) followed with four points each. Luke McWright hustled for a team-best five ground balls. Defensively, Anthony Sparacino and Alex Pfaff led the Seahawks with two caused turnovers each. In goal, Kyrle Preis earned his second victory of the season and collected 11 saves.
- Nick Cost led the Blue Jays with four points on the afternoon.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 29 at Catholic | 3:00 p.m. | Carlini Field