ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse team (5-2) hosted the visiting Randolph-Macon College Yellow Jackets (7-0) on Wednesday (Mar. 11) night in non-conference action. The Seahawks were held scoreless in the third quarter and were downed by the Yellow Jackets by a final score of 17-14.
St. Mary’s College – 14, Randolph-Macon – 17
How It Happened
- The Seahawks captured a 2-0 lead in the first two minutes of action with back-to-back goals fromDominic VenanziandJeremiah Clemmer. Randolph-Macon responded with a three-goal scoring streak to take a 3-2 advantage. Next, the Seahawks stole the momentum back with four unanswered goals to end the opening frame.Ben ClaffeeandJude Browneach found the back of the cage twice in the run.
- St. Mary’s College extended their lead to four with another goal from Claffee to begin the second quarter. However, Randolph-Macon responded once again with a scoring run, recording three-straight goals to trim the Seahawk lead to one. Tied at eight with 4:02 remaining in the half, the Seahawks ended the half with a three-goal run to jump out to an 11-8 lead. Venanzi,Abe Hubbard, and Clemmer beat the opposing goalkeeper for the halftime lead.
- The third quarter was dominated by the Yellow Jackets as they outscored the Seahawks 6-0. Leading 14-11, Randolph-Macon tallied the first goal of the fourth quarter to pull ahead of the Seahawks 15-11. The Seahawks willed themselves back into the game with scores fromErich Wuesthoff, Venanzi, and Brown to cut the lead to one. However, the Yellow Jackets managed to score the final two scores of the contest to seal the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Brown led the Seahawks on the offensive end with seven points, netting three goals and dishing out four assists. Claffee followed with three goals and one assist. Defensively,Luke McWright,Brock Daniel,Reece Small, andDylan Shatzernotched one caused turnover each. Shatzer,Antonio Mastromanolis, andAlex Pfaffled the Seahawks with two ground balls each. In goal,Kyrle Preiscollected seven saves.
- Colin DiSesaled the Yellow Jackets with eight points.
Up Next for the Seahawks
Mar. 14 at McDaniel | 2:00 p.m. | Kenneth R. Gill Stadium