News Release, St. Mary’s County Health Department
LEONARDTOWN, MD (July 17, 2020) – Due to high summer temperatures and a concern for the safety of staff and community members, St. Mary’s County Health Department (SMCHD) is changing its hours of operation for COVID-19 testing offered outside of the Harm Reduction Program Office in Lexington Park.
Beginning July 20th, daily appointment-free testing will be available from 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m, Monday through Friday. The SMCHD Harm Reduction Program Office is located at 46035 Signature Lane in Lexington Park, MD 20653 (co-located with the U-Haul Moving & Storage of Lexington Park).
SMCHD COVID-19 Testing:
- Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- No doctor’s order needed
- Free of Charge (no out-of-pocket cost, co-payment, co-insurance, etc.)
- Bring health insurance information and identification, if possible – Uninsured community members welcome
- Walk up for testing, parking is available
- For assistance or accommodations, call ahead to (301) 862-1680
Visit www.smchd.org/covid-19-testing for more information.
“We have tested over 1,000 community members at this site in two weeks of operating,” said Terry Prochnow, Director of Public Health Preparedness & Response at SMCHD. “The heat poses new challenges but we are looking into other options for future events at varying times and locations to ensure that COVID-19 testing is available in our community.”
Who should get tested?
- Anyone showing signs or symptoms of COVID-19
- Close contacts (even if they do not have symptoms) of persons who have COVID-19
- Those attending events where social distancing is not maintained
- Anyone returning from out-of-state travel, particularly from areas with rising case rates
- Community members without symptoms (asymptomatic) may also get tested
Please visit the St. Mary’s County Health Department’s website for local COVID-19 updates, data, and information at www.smchd.org/coronavirus or call the COVID-19 Community Hotline at 301-475-4911 (Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.) to get your questions answered.