FREDERICK, MD– The Women’s Basketball team had a slow start to their 2021 campaign Saturday night. The non-conference match proved to be difficult for the Seahawks, ending in a hard loss to Hood College.
How it Happened
- Excited to start their season off, the Seahawks came out strong and scored four points out the gate to take the lead. However, Hood answered quickly and went on a 13 point streak to pull away from the Seahawks. St. Mary’s would not get much breathing room from the Blazers. They held the Hawks to 8 points, while Hood notched 21 points to close the first quarter.
- The Seahawks came back at the start of the second quarter, putting pressure on the Blazers. Though St. Mary gave a strong effort, Hood was able to win the quarter, scoring 15 points against St. Mary’s 10.
- St. Mary’s came out quick after half time, closing the gap between the Blazers. Stephanie Howell was a key player for the Hawks, putting up 5 of the 13 points during the third quarter. Though a strong effort, it was not enough to stop the Blazers. Hood finishes the third quarter with a 24 point lead.
- Hood came in leading the quarter and did not let up; A difficult quarter then ensued for St. Marys. The Seahawks were only able to score 6 points against Hood’s 18 points. Hood College took the game with the winning score of 73-37.
Inside the Box Score
- Stephanie Howell led the charge for the Hawks in points, netting nine of the 37 scored. Cassidy Kupchinskas and Amira Whitaker each added six.
- Whitaker executed the lone 3 point shot for the Seahawks Saturday night. Eleven attempts were made throughout the match.
St. Mary’s will be traveling to Westminster, MD to compete in the Rebecca Martin Memorial Tip-Off Tournament. They will compete against Catholic at 6 pm Nov. 12th, followed by either the championship or a consolation game on Nov. 13th. The championship game will take place at 2 pm, while the consolation is slated for 4 pm.