CHESTERFIELD, Va. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s swim team collected a seventh-place finish in the 10-team field TYR Yellow Jacket Invitational on Saturday. First-year Luke Schwenk (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) led the Seahawks in their seventh-place finish as Schwenk put up another school record in the 100 backstroke.
St. Mary’s College notched 519 points in finishing seventh. The Catholic University of America took the lead from Washington College, winning the Invitational by a three-point margin (1,409.5-1,406.5). The University of Lynchburg came in third with 1,232 points followed by Division II Frostburg State University in fourth (1,171.5) and Emory and Henry College in fifth (762.5).
How It Happened
- Schwenk picked up his third school record of the weekend as he broke the 100 backstroke record for a third time. He first broke the record on November 20 with a time of 51.89 before breaking it a second time on the first night of the Invitational with 50.41. Schwenk then shaved off another 45-hundredths of a second in dropping the record to 49.96.
- Schwenk captured the 100 backstroke with his record-setting time of 49.96 before taking second in the 100 freestyle in 47.18.
- Sophomore Sam Shenot (Upper Marlboro, Md./Leonardtown) clocked a pair of personal-best times in the butterfly events. Shenot came in ninth in the 100 butterfly in 55.66 before taking 11th in the 200 butterfly in 2:07.81.
- Junior captain Jack Kennedy (Northampton, Pa./Northampton Area) also notched a personal-best time in the 100 freestyle. Kennedy paced the Seahawks in the 200 freestyle with a sixth-place finish in 1:49.97 before finishing seventh in the 100 freestyle with a time of 49.06.
- Schwenk, junior Anri Cifuentes Robinson (Easton, Md./Easton), Shenot, and Kennedy posted a 1:38.93 to take fifth in the 200 medley relay.
- In the 400 freestyle relay, St. Mary’s College placed seventh in 3:18.25 behind the efforts of Schwenk, Cifuentes Robinson, junior Sebastian Ludwig (Bethesda, Md./Walt Whitman), and Kennedy.
- Ludwig led the team in the 1,650 freestyle, finishing seventh in 17:30.86, while first-year Aiden Hirschrankin (Frederick, Md./Tuscarora) took 16th in 18:13.39.
- The Seahawks came in eighth in the 800 freestyle relay in 7:34.91 as Ludwig, Shenot, Hirschrankin, and Kennedy swam on the relay.
- In the 400 individual medley, Ludwig was the top Seahawk finisher with an 11th-place finisher in 4:31.89.
- Cifuentes Robinson collected a 16th-place finish in the 100 breaststroke in 1:02.77 while first-year Sam Meisel (Bethesda, Md./Walter Johnson) went 20th in the 200 breaststroke in 2:48.36.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 15 at Marywood (1-4, 1-1 AEC) – Scranton, Pa. – 1:00 p.m.